How can I transfer recorded movies and TV programs from my Dish DVR to my macbook?
Question by PersianPrincess: How can I transfer recorded movies and TV programs from my Dish DVR to my macbook?
I want to create space on my DVR so I can record more programs, but my DVR is full. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EZ474), but I have connected it yet since I moved. I have a Sony HD Bravia KDL-40W5100 LCD television and Dish Network. I usually just copy programs with my DVD recorder, and when I’m at home (not using the timer), I don’t have to worry about copyrights and encryption. I use the DVR, because I’d like to record when I’m not home. I am going out of town Wednesday morning, and I don’t want to miss my favorite programs. Ideally, I’d like to set up before I leave.
I would like help doing the following two things:
1. How to transfer my recorded programs onto my Macbook (10.5.8 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) or external drive and burn DVDs (I have iMovie, but have never used it).
2. How to transfer from the Dish DVR to my Panasonic DVD recorder. I think I need to pay a fee and get Dish Network to activate the USB port before I can do this (or transfer to an external drive). However, I don’t want to just add space; I’d like to copy the programs, not just store and watch them later.
Also, if any Mac experts (especially those who know how to edit film; make DVDs with professional menus, chapters, and covers) know the best software to make CD/DVD labels and how to create menus, please let me know. My DVD recorder creates chapters, but I’d like to make a somewhat professional looking DVD.
Since, according to this site http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a4019-how-to-transfer-dvr-recordings-to-dvd.html copying from premium channels to DVD recorders may not be possible, then I guess the only way I can record these programs is if I’m at home and don’t use the timer.
But, if anyone knows how to fix the above problem, please let me know. This is for personal use only.
Sorry for the wordiness, but if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. I have looked online, and while I’m pretty handy with electronics, I really need to follow good instructions.
Here are some other sites I looked at:
I’ve spent hours searching online, but there is just a lot of information to digest, and I’m a little overwhelmed.I need advice from tech geniuses! Thank you in advance!
Answer by MacZilla
Thats a lot to answer yet not hard to do
MacBook doesn’t have a lot of space yet it can be done
We use a DVD Recorder simple an ease of use there are lots of videos over at YouTube on how to connect an use the DVR with your DVD Recorder.
As for using it on the Mac use iDVD to make your DVDs and to import it use MPEG Streamclip and its free from a DVD But from the DVR you would need video capture setup like ADVC 55 or a Dazzle if you have iLife 11 then use iMovie. Yet that’s a lot of work that’s why we use the DVD Recorder.
Give your answer to this question below!
- How do I transfer recorded videos on the iPod Nano 5th generation to my mac?
- Q&A: DVD Maker/Movie transfer software recommendations?
- Q&A: What type of movie making programs comes with the macbook pro laptop?
- Transfer Vhs to DVD – Don’t Lose Your Precious Home Movies
- Ipod to Computer Transfer Program?